Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Tutorial Tuesday---Hidden Drawer Card

I just love this project. I haven't made it in a while. The first time we made it was at our stamp camp, a couple years ago, it's been a while but I still love it. And you'll see why. Speaking of stamp camp. Have you registered yet??? You can get all the details about our stamp camp this year by clicking here. The last day to sign up in January 20th.

Ok onto the project. It's a small 3x3 notecard but under the card is a hidden drawer for candy or whatever you want to put in it. I'm using the Hershey nuggets but the Ghirardelli squares would fit great too, I bet. I've already done a lot to the front of the card. Since that's not really the focus of the project, it is the box. I didn't do anything super special anyway. I used some DSP and tied ribbon around it and tied a tag on it. I use my Chit Chat rub-ons for the greeting and we'll finish it with some hearts later.
You can use either DSP or cardstock for either part. I'm using our new Raspberry Tart DSP for the box and Rose Red cardstock for the card and base.

For the box you'll need a piece of DSP or cardstock cut 4 3/4 x 4 3/4, score it 1 inch all around. Cut the tabs and assemble just like any other box. Super easy. For the card and base you'll need a piece of DSP or cardstock cut 12x3. You'll also need some sticky strip to hold it all together. Ok so let's get started!


On your 12x3 cardstock score at 3,4,7,8 and 11

Fold on all your score lines to get a good crease. To make the card and holder for the box you'll use the 1 inch tab (your 11 inch score line) and fold it over so that it lines up with your cardstock between the 3 and 4 inch score line. The picture illustrates it better. You should have a "b" shape. Before you glue it hold it in place and make sure the card opens and closes easily and that all the score line match up. If they're off, just trim the 1 inch tab slightly so that everything lines up. I had to trim my cardstock to 11 7/8, something like that. Once everything lines up and the card opens and closes glue it together with sticky strip.


I covered all my nuggets with 1x3 inch piece of DSP. Same size as address lables. You could stamp those and cover the candies with those too.



It's actually a snug fit for 6 of these in here, so the Ghirardelli squares might work better.




The box slides right into the card base/holder.





Isn't this a great punch!!! It comes in the Love You Much Bundle. I'm using Rose Red Cardstock






Used dimensionals to attach my hearts.







Here's where the inside of the card would be, where you would write your lovely note.








Here it is finished with the drawer out. It's a cute gift to give to anyone, this year!










Thanks for looking, see you tomorrow!

1 comment:

Regina said...

Hi, Ruth
this box is fantastic! Thanks for your tutorial!

And here is my box: http://diekreativeecke.blogspot.com/2009/01/eine-kleine-aufmerksamkeit.html
Greetings Regina