Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Tutorial Tuesday--Painting with ink refills

Today's tutorial is painting with SU ink refills. I heard it was done a convention last. I wasn't there so I don't know if that's true or not. I've never seen it done, but when I heard about it I thought it sounded cool, so I made up my own way, don't know if it's the 'right' way or not.
I don't have a supply picture for you because all you need is white craft ink refill and classic ink refill of your choice. I'm using Pixie Pink.

The stamp set I'm using is Simple Birthday Thanks. I stamped it 3 times, you'll see why in a minute.


To start, mix some white craft ink refill with some classic ink refill in a disposable bowl.

There's no real science to how much. It depends on how much space you have to paint and how dark you want it. For the cupcake I did 4-5 drops of white and 2-3 drops of pink. Mix it together....





And paint your image. (The cherry was colored with markers prior to painting). I'm not going to worry too much about the edges. I'm going to be cutting out the image later anyway, so if it goes over the edges or doesn't really cover the edges it won't matter too much.





Keep painting until you have it covered.





Because we're using craft ink, and it takes FOREVER to dry, I'm going to use my heat tool to speed up the process. It will take a few minutes to dry even with the heat tool. Remember MOVE your heat tool back and forth. DO NOT leave it in one spot, you'll scorch your cardstock.


When it dries, it's going to be significantly lighter then the color it was painted. So if you want a darker color make sure to add more classic reinker at the beginning, or use a darker color to begin with. It looks purple-ish in the picture, it's the same pixie pink card, not sure why it looks purple.






So here it is mostly dry, there are still a couple of small damp spots. My paper started to smell like it was burning from the heat tool so I turned it off. I've added some dazzling diamonds glitter with my 2-way glue pen. Then I cut out my frosted part of the cupcake.


Remember at the beginning when I told you I stamped my image 3 times, well here's why....





I stamped it once and cut out the entire image, tied a little ribbon around and stuck it on my card with dimensionals. I painted the frosting on this one the same way but I only used one drop of pink reinker, to get a much lighter look.






Here's the second one I stamped. The frosting that I cut out. Also used dimensionals to stick it to the card.







And the last one that I stamped was the cherry. Also put on with dimensionals.





You can see the 3 layers better from the side of the card. There is 3 there. The last layer is the cherry and it has crystal effects on it, so the sides are weighed down a bit, so it's a little harder to see the 3 layers. But they're there.





Here's the finished card.


Thanks for looking, see you tomorrow!










No comments: