Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Tutorial Tuesday-Faux Flocking

It's Tutorial Tuesday! Today I'm going to show you faux flocking. I've seen this technique and you may have seen it too. But I really wanted to give it a try and I liked it so much I thought I'd do a tutorial on it. It's a little time consuming, so I wouldn't plan to make 100 of them. But one or two are really cute.
So lets get started, here's what you'll need. Paper snips, cardstock in color you want your flocking, crystal effects and your stamped image.



To get all your 'flocking' open your scissors and scrap the edges of your cardstock. By doing this you'll get lots of little flock scraps, as I like to call them. I collected all mine in an old brads container. This way they all stay contained in one spot and if I don't use it all I can save it for another use.

I've already stamped my image and I've put Crystal Effects all over the bird. Not on his pumpkin, beak or eyes. Just where you want the flock to be. Something I didn't do but should have BEFORE you apply your crystal effects color in your image the same color as your flocking. This way if some doesn't stick in the corners or everywhere it needs to you still get the color coverage.



Gently put your flocking on. There are a couple ways to do this. You can turn your image upside down in the flocking, or you can pick some up and gently push it on. I like to push it on. I think you get better coverage that way and your ensuring that it's sticking to the crystal effects.




Now we need to brush off the flocking from the spots where we didn't want the flocking to be, his eyes the pumpkin. Since I'm working with a very small image I just use the round top of a straight pin. If you're working with a large image you might be able to use a paint brush.




Now you can finish coloring your image, if you haven't already done so.




Attach to your card and you're done!

Isn't he cute!
Thanks for looking, see you tomorrow!

2 comments:

Jeanette said...

Great tutorial. So glad you thought of it and shared it.

Curt in Indy said...

This is so awesome! What a genius you are! And what a great way to use the smaller scraps I save be never seem to use! Thanks for sharing such a wonderful idea! Best, Curt