Friday, June 18, 2010

Cherry Cobbler and Crumb Cake

Doesn't that sound like a yummy dessert or possibly two yummy desserts :) But it's not, they're 2 of the new SU core colors. Crumb Cake used to be Kraft but now it's so much better because you can get it in ink and makers now! YAY! Over the past year I've grown to LOVE this color and I'm so pleased it wasn't on the retired list!

I have what just might be the most beautiful card I've seen made with the new hostess set Because I Care. I copied 99.9% of this card (the only thing I changed was the greeting, oh I did add an extra layer of Cherry Cobbler CS). I got the idea from Stampin' Connection. If you're a SU demo you have access to this AMAZING site that has thousands and thousands of brilliant ideas! I saw this card and I had to make it immediately! It's so beautiful. It's made by Tina, and I just love it. Please check out her blog, she really does do amazing work! This card is already on it's way to the lucky recipient, but I love it so much I may have to make another one to hang in my room.

Unfortunatly the photo doesn't do it the justice it deserves. This is how I made mine. I used blender pens and my ink pad to color the flower. I stamped it twice once on the card and once on scrap paper. I colored the one on scrap paper and cut it out and layered it onto the one on the card. I did a tutorial waaaayyyy back in 2008 about how to do the shadow block technique, you can check that out if you're interested in making this card too.
I didn't have any black brads so I made my own. How you ask? We'll I have a quick tutorial for you on how to make black brads below so make sure to keep scrolling down. They look awesome though and you'd never know they were silver brads underneath.



Here's the inside of the card. I think I'm going to start dressing up the insides of my cards too. Why spend so much time on the outside and never do the inside?


Here's the quick brad tutorial. First take a silver or gold brad, make sure you have tweezers for this or you'll fry you fingers to a crisp.

Clasp the brad in the tweezers.....

...and dip it into some versamark.


Then dip it into embossing powder. I'm doing mine in black but obviously if you have any other embossing powder, dip it in that. Turn a black brad silver if you want. You could also use our craft ink instead of versa mark to make any color brad you want, if you do that, make sure you use clear embossing powder.



Then heat it up, just like you would if you were embossing on paper. Then wait a few seconds until it's cooled and dip it once more into versa mark then the EP. Two layers should be enough. Probably one layer is enough but I like to be thorough. Custom brads in seconds-cool huh!!
Supplies:
Stamp Sets: Because I Care
Cardstock: Basic Black, Cherry Cobbler, White
Ink: Black Staz on, Cherry Cobbler, Crumb Cake, Old Olive, Versa Mark
Accessories: Black Satin Ribbon, Black EP, Silver Brads, Heat Tool, dimesensionals, Blender Pens
Thanks for looking, today I'll be working on some Father's Day Cards, see you soon!!!!

1 comment:

Tina said...

Ruth, you did a great job with this card, and no, I don't mind you casing at all! The way I see it, we're all here to share ideas and take ideas.

I love the extra layer of Cherry Cobbler, think I might have to try that too!

Thanks for the wonderful compliments!