Friday, March 23, 2012

Possibly The Cutest Thing EVER!

This is a super long post, but it's so totally, completely so worthwhile so please grab some coffee, tea or whatever you choose and sit down and enjoy!!  Before we get to the project I want to showcase I have to give you some background and explain how this project came to be.  You might have remembered me mentioning Heather Summers My Digital Studio Class, well it is awesome and I've learned so many fun MDS trick and tools.  One of the pages that Heather showed was similar to mine page (really similar-I copied it pretty closely).  Heather's page included a monkey, I didn't purposely leave the monkey out, I just forgot about it when making this page, but I included it in the next project.  But anyway I'm getting a little off track.  After I made this page, the animals are made in MDS with punches by the way-SUPER CUTE!  After they were made I thought, that could be done with cardstock.  Then I thought, I want them bigger though, I wonder if I could make them with some dies.  Which is where my project comes in!!!  I'm so excited about this!!!

My final project is a card that opens up with 5 panels, each panel has an animal and yes this time I included a monkey :) This card is a normal 4.25x5.5 card I'm so excited about how it expands and I just love it.  I'm working on a second one that I'm going to make into a fun banner to hang in Megan or Logan's room (truth is I'll probably have to make one for each kid in each room).  Maybe I'll add some pink bows on the one that will go in Megan's room.  Of course when that happens I'll take pictures and show you. 


If you were to mail this card, you'd have to use a padded envelope, it's probably a good inch thick when folded up.  Here's what it looks like when folded up.  The elephant is so cute, his trunk was probably my biggest challenge.  In the end I ended up using the paper that the elephant's head was cut out from.  I used the outline of the circle and then put it on half of an oval.  Just to point out, all the heads were cut from the 3.5 inch circle die.  The oval I used for his trunk is the largest oval in the ovals die.  

The elephants ears were done with the butterfly die.  The DSP that I used for all the animals is a new DSP that if you're a demonstrator you can get now, if you're a customer you can get in April.  It's the Summer Smooches DSP, the patterns are so fun!!!  All the animals are done with the dies and some punches.  The giraffe was fun used the largest oval for his nose.  The little talk bubbles were done in MDS, I printed them out and cut them out. 

The monkey and the hippo were fun, the hippo was the first animal I did, he was so simple and after I did him I was so so excited to keep going!!!!  I had to do the monkey's eyes about 4 times, every time I did them he looked angry, of course I couldn't have an angry monkey :)  I wasn't sure that I was going to be able to get the monkey done, I didn't think I had a heart die for his face, then I remembered I had just got the Heart Framelits Yay!!!  The monkey was saved!!!! 
Lastly is the lion.  After the elephant he was my next challenging one.  I thought about using the scallop circle dies, but they were either too big or too little. So I ended up using the clear circle die and I went around and cut our triangles all around.  After I got one done, he still looked a little incomplete so I made another one, it made his mane look a little more full. 
I used my SU paper snips to show you how big these animals are.  I love them.  If you know me at all you already know what a fan I am of using punches to build animals and other fun little guys.  So using the dies was so much fun!  It was like the punches on steroids!!!  So cute!!!!!!  I just love these little guys I hope you do too.  Remember to join me next week for my countdown to 1000 blog posts!!!!  I'll have fun things going on all week so make sure you check every day!!!! 
Thanks for looking, see you soon!!!!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

OH MY GRAVY!!!!!!! I've got to start taking your "cute" warnings more seriously. This is THE cutest thing I've seen in quite some time! FABULOUS! THIS is exactly why I stalk you ... you're ridiculously clever! LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it! ~ Your Stalker

Melinda said...

WAAAAY CUTE!!! How clever of you to have figured out! thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

How cute is this layout and I love all your punch art you did. Can't wait to see the banners you make for your children, I am sure they will be way cute!!

I will be featuring this layout on My Crafty Picks #58 with a link back to your blog on 3-25-12. Make sure to stop by to check out all the picks and to pick up your blog badge to display on your blog for being featured!!

If you wish to decline please email me by responding to this comment to let me know.

Thanks and take care
Tiffany Bauer
http://www.mycraftyworld.blogspot.com

abbartski said...

Fantabulous!! Thanks for sharing your whimsy work.
Stay well,
AnnMarie

Vicky said...

Wow Ruth, love your animals!! so very very cute!!
Way to go on your blog hits!!
Vicky