Monday, January 9, 2017

Watercolored Pencil Background

I've had a hard time putting down my watercolor pencils. You guys they're pretty amazing!  Even if you don't think you're a watercolorer I promise these pencils will change your mind.  I pulled out some watercolor paper for this technique because I knew I'd be using lots of water. I started with a pencil and a ruler. I blocked off 1 inch sections horizontally and then I marked 1 inch sections vertically.  Then I created triangles in those blocks.  I erased the lines I wouldn't need an left the triangles.  Then I picked what colors I wanted in what order, counted the triangles and divided the colors evenly among the triangles.  Now I did this, because well, that's how I do it.  You could skip this 40 minutes of your life and just watercolor. 
Once I knew what colors were going where, I took my pencils and colored the longer horizontal part of the triangle (for some that was the bottom for some that was the top).  I knew I wanted that part to be the darkest on each triangle so that's where I colored.  I used an aqua painter and working with one triangle at a time.  I pulled the color from the bottom up to the point of each triangle.  Now initially I wasn't happy with it, especially since at this point I had invested a good hour+ into this card, so I decided to press on.  I'm glad I did!  The final look is really starting to grow on me, I love it more and more every time I look at it.  Especially with watercoloring, press on with your project.  Watercoloring especially tends to look not so great when wet.  If you're not liking the look, let it dry and come back to it.  You could end up pleasantly surprised!

Thanks for looking, see you soon!!!!

No comments: